How to Apply for Substituted Service in a Divorce Case?

How to Apply for Substituted Service in a Divorce Case?

Dealing with a divorce where the spouse’s location is unknown in South Africa can be daunting. Substituted Service offers a legal solution in such scenarios. Here’s a concise guide on how to apply for Substituted Service in your divorce case.

The process begins with demonstrating your diligent efforts to locate your spouse. This includes detailing all steps taken to determine their whereabouts. Your application must effectively show the court that you’ve exhausted all avenues in trying to find your spouse and that the method of service you propose is likely to bring the divorce papers to their attention.

Once your application is submitted, the court exercises its discretion to decide the most suitable method of service based on the unique facts of your case. This could vary from publication in a newspaper, reaching out through family members or friends, to more direct methods like fax or email.

The key is to ensure that the method chosen maximizes the chances of your spouse becoming aware of the divorce proceedings. This approach is designed to uphold the fairness of the legal process, even in challenging situations. I

f you’re considering applying for Substituted Service, it’s advisable to seek legal counsel. An experienced family law attorney can guide you through this process, ensuring your application is robust and your rights are protected.

Read more on Substituted Service